The iCone²⁺ Calorimeter
ISO 5660; ASTM E1354; ASTM E1474; ASTM E1740; ASTM F1550; ASTM D6113; CAN ULC 135; BS 476 Part 15
The iCone²⁺ Calorimeter (ISO 5660; ASTM E1354) is the first in FTT’s new interactive range of calorimeters, the i-series. It features the latest technology in control and automation making it the most advanced, reliable and user-friendly cone calorimeter in the world.
The Cone Calorimeter is the most significant bench scale instrument in the field of fire testing. Building on FTT’s decades of expertise in design and manufacture of calorimeters, iCone²⁺ features an interactive and intuitive interface, automatic or manual control, sophisticated and flexible control options, and built-in data acquisition technology for robust data collection, analysis and reporting. It incorporates many new features not previously seen by fire testing laboratories while being compact, accurate, reliable and easily maintained.
The iCone²⁺ is the most advanced automatic Cone Calorimeter in the world forming part of our new range of interactive fire testing instrumentation (the i-series).
Directly Measured Properties:
- Heat release rate
- Time to ignition
- Mass loss rate
- Smoke release rate
- Effective heat of combustion
- Rates of release of combustion gas (e.g. carbon oxides)
International standards have been published describing the equipment and several national standardisation bodies have now published product standards for use of the Cone Calorimeter in assessing performances of finished products.
- Furniture (ASTM E1474)
- Wall lining materials (ASTM E1740)
- Prison mattresses (ASTM F1550)
- Electric cables (ASTM D6113)
- Railway rolling-stock applications (EN 45545-2)
- Maritime applications (IMO)
Unique Features of the iCone²⁺:
- Remote control of the cone assembly position so that heater-specimen surface separation can be adjusted pre and mid test, to facilitate testing of intumescing or thermally distorting specimens
- Programmable heat flux exposure up to 10 consecutive ramping or holding steps
- Automatic/manual control of motorised heat shield to protect specimen from heat exposure before test
- Automatic/manual control of positioning and control of spark igniter to ignite the combustion gases from the specimen
- Automatic/manual control of retractable 4 side heat resistant glass protective screen which provides a draft-free environment around the fire model with clear viewing from all sides
- 4" colour touchscreen test control panel adjacent to specimen
- Automatic calibration and control of gas analysis instrumentation and the entire calorimeter by ConeCalc Software
- Load cell resolution of 0.01g and load capacity up to 8.2kg
- Load cell mounted on an independent table to avoid any vibration from exhaust fan
- All round access to specimen platform for specimen preparation and cleaning
- Easy to clean large, highly durable black granite working surface
- Fire model protection alarm system
- Online support and remote control of instruments from FTT
- Carbon Dioxide and Carbon Monoxide – NDIR gas analysers optionally available
- Optional larger Cone fire model for testing specimens with very low heat release rates under uniform heat flux over entire surface
- Controlled Atmosphere Attachment – for testing specimens in low oxygen atmospheres that may be found in well developed fires, or for studying the effects of gaseous suppressants or other dynamic controlled-atmosphere environments. The cone assembly is located on top of the enclosure with exhaust gas exiting through the cone only. The cabinet replaces the conventional cone assembly but uses the same controllers as the normal cone. There is a door on the front of the assembly with a viewing window. Changing between the standard fire model an this unit is simple.
- FTIR Toxicity Test System - an advanced gas analyser used for continuous measurement of combustion gases in conjunction with FTT's cone calorimeter, Smoke Density Chamber or Single Burning Item.
- Cone Corrosimeter - built in accordance with ASTM D5485 and used for assessing the corrosive potential of combustion products.
- Integrated computer system.
- Sartorius Load Cell (increased range).
- Soot Mass sampling.