OSU Rate of Heat Release Apparatus
FAR 25.853 (a-1), FAA Fire Test Handbook – Chapter 5; ASTM E906 Standard Test Method for Heat and Visible Smoke Release Rates for Materials and Products
The Rate of Heat Release Apparatus is used to expose aircraft interior cabin materials to an incident radiant heat flux of 35 kW/m², to comply with FAR 25.853 [a-1] requirements.
FTT Rate of Heat Release Apparatus incorporates comprehensive safety features and is fully equipped to provide reliable test data for both FAA and ASTM tests. The apparatus, built in accordance with Chapter 5 of the FAA Fire Test Handbook is provided in three parts: test chamber, control unit and data acquisition and analysis system. It consists of:
- Stainless steel insulated test chamber, with gasketed door and viewing window
- Matched set glow bars elements as heat source (with corrosion-resistant stainless steel housing)
- Dual glo-bar power controllers for ease of heat flux uniformity adjustment
- Upper pilot, lower pilot with spark ignition and calibration methane gas burners
- Thermopile for heat measurement, with five hot thermocouple junctions in chimney and five cold thermocouple junctions in the air chamber
- Air distribution system and exhaust stack
- Specimen holder, with pressure plate, mounting bracket and drip pan
- Stand-alone control unit housed in 19" rack, with:
- Thyristor control for radiant heat source
- Flow control for burners
- Controls for air supply system
- Calibration heat flux meter
- Software, interface, computer and laser printer
FTT also offer a data acquisition and analysis stand-alone software package for the OSU Rate of Heat Release Apparatus that can be used either with our instrumentation or with existing equipment.
The OSU Rate of Heat Release Apparatus is a sophisticated fire testing instrument, designed to make the calibration and use of the instrument user-friendly. The OSU Software package's acquires test data, assists with calibration routines and automatically generates test reports. The User interface is a Microsoft based system with push button actions and standard Windows data entry fields, drop down selectors, check boxes and switches.
- View of Transducer Signals
- Heat Release Rate Calibration
- Automatic File Naming
- Data Collection
- Data Presentation